On tutorials and critiques.


Bubbles by Diana Afanador

I have grown accustomed to working on my own. I actually like the "silence" (I always have music on) of not talking. From time to time, it’s good to hear what other people are thinking about my work. Peers and friends are good, but I think tutorials give this certain moment, where people feel free to be critical without sounding competitive. I had some tutorials last week, and I found them very interesting, each person has a different perspective on the work and thus, you gain a different perspective on yours.
I sometimes loose sight of my work, so it’s important to hear what others have to say. The problem is learning to know what to hear and what to let go. What to build on? What am I interested on?
Because my work right now is more of a search, then I have to check myself constantly when it comes to decision making. Is this what I want? Why? Does the work need this? (Actually this is one of the comments that I liked the most on the last critique, strip your work down, and find out what it needs.) I don’t want to go baroque in any way.
I’m searching in many ways: materials, scale, colour, texture, from painting to sculpture and then back, nothing is complete at the moment, this is my research at the moment, though soon I will have to move onto my dissertation.
Today I have another tutorial. We will see how this one goes.

1 comentario:

  1. I like this idea about finding what your work needs. I think it can definitely be applied to writing, if perhaps in a different way.

    We are encouraged constantly, by every single tutor, to filter down our work and leave it with the bare necessities, sort to speak. In this sense, instead of finding what the work needs, is discovering what it already has and make it stand on its own.

    That doesn't mean not rewriting, believe me. But it does mean developing a new perspective, like you say, of our own work; one necessarily achieved through constant examining.

    Both entries have that in common. I guess you could say that part one of the creative process is to question it all.

    ResponderEliminar