Post number 4. Getting back at it and writting.

After that I went back to the room and kept working on the wall painting. Things still didn’t work... and that wasn’t really the problem, the problem was how to fix it. I had more tutorials, (again, one of the most important was with the head of school, I really like her, she doesn’t bs you, calls you on your own bs and then, helps you out) thought about more things and finally...I decided to move away from my usual painting methods. I made a plan, and experimented again, on how to make it work.

At the same time, we had to write an exhibition proposal, (basically how you were planning on showing your work in the space you had.) I had never done this, and this was what I wrote, I’m still not sure its what they asked for..but well, the examples we had were not really that good ..I think .
Here it is:

"EXHIBITION PROPOSAL SUMMER SHOW 2010. Diana Afanador.

At the beginning my work was bound by paper. I used its boundaries to give an idea of the lack of them. In my practice I use shapes and through an intuitive process they have become a reflection of living beings and human presences. As I started to work within the space in which I’m going to show the possibilities were broadened.

The shapes move outside the constringent of the paper. As a result of feedback I found that while at the beginning (on paper) I broke the borders of the shapes and created a coloured background, as I moved to the walls these borders had to become strong and definite once again and the walls remained white and clean.

At the same time, there was a need for the human presences to be stronger and I moved them outside the 2D boundaries into a sculptural proposal, which has become a key element in the exhibition as it encourages the viewer to circulate around it and it's shadow, to explore the space.

The work reflects a process related to the place where it’s shown. Consisting on wall and sculptural pieces it aims to create an environment that can be viewed as well as wandered in.

On the walls I use water-based materials to achieve movement, fluidity and transparency. I’m interested in layers, and so I work with overlapping found images with my own. These give me the balance between geometry in the shapes and an organic presence. It is achieved through mechanical and hand made processes like screen-printing and drawings on the wall surface.

The material used in the sculptural piece was selected both for its aesthetic qualities and direct relation with human disposed objects. Bin bags are made to contain things that are going to be left behind.

It is developed while having in mind work that interacts with the space and contemporary installation possibilities that foster a complete experience, an encounter with the work. I’m also interested in work that uses a motif or that creates the option of an imaginary, metaphorical, parallel reality or work that has a very distinctive relation to the life of the artist. I have been influenced by the work of artists like Olafur Eliasson, Charles Avery, Yayoi Kusama, Beatriz Gonzalez, Manuel Hernández and Ana Mendieta. "

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario