Post number 2. Moving on.

After that, and I had a lot of tutorials, every person I had a tutorial with had a different perspective. I liked that; it’s like finding out a different thing about your work every time. I really appreciated the ones that were hard. The ones who were not about to say nice things so that you wont feel sad, or bad or whatever. The truth of the matter is, for me, that when people say things to you, things that aren’t working, then you can work on them. On the other hand, if everything is good, then, well, good, but I rather save the nice comments for the opening night.

What I did like though was that I was encouraged to work outside the paper, grow into the room. Now, for me, this is no easy thing to do. As I mentioned before, the space seemed huge to me, and I think that I really couldn’t get my head around it for a long time. I didn’t have a plan to start with and I just tried to manage it as a paper, a huge white paper. Now this has a lot of problems, first because a room is not a paper. It’s 3d and the paper is 2d. I know this sounds obvious, but really, it’s not. Creating a composition in a room is nowhere near the same as it is on paper.

The walls don’t work the same as paper when receiving colour. I know, again, it should be obvious, and I think it is, but at the same time I can say that my first attempt was to try to make them work as paper. (Because I was trying to use the room as I would my paper).



It was a good learning curve on many levels: composition, materials, time, etc. Needless to say it didn’t really work..though I really kept at it and tried many times. It seemed as if I hadn’t done it on purpose, but rather blundered into it. Which in retrospect, was what I was doing.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario